Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Review: Reliance USB Internet


I recently moved in to a place where BSNL is the only broadband provider. I thought it would be the easiest thing since the telephone exchange is only an earshot away. However, when I approached them I was told that there is a waiting list. And it's not likely to move for next few months. Since I like to work from home at times, I was desperate for a reliable Internet connection.

Well, in my case, the decision making was simple - I needed one and there was (only) one. So, I went for Reliance USB netConnect. Honestly, I didn't have high hopes and the folks at the reliance customer center didn't have much idea about the speed, bandwidth etc. I initially I thought I would use this connection only to check mails and some light browsing. Then when I came home, installed and connected, I was surprised to see that the connection had 230.4 Kbps maximum bandwidth. Even if I get half of this speed, say 128 kbps, then I could do with this, in worst case, make-do.

It's been 3 months since I took this and I would say it has exceeded my expectations. I have seen a maximum of 136 kbps speed. Even though it slows down around noon or drops the connection occasionally, it's reliable most of the time. And biggest plus - you can take this wherever you go. I have been working and attending functions at relatives' at the same time. The mobility factor this brings in is awesome.

The other positive thing is this doesn't need power. You will realize how useful this is during power cuts, like we have in our place. Even when I get my broadband, I am likely to keep this as my back-up.

No comments: